My last post was all about the euphoria of success and what incredible highs we get from the little things in life which very often include our dogs. Life with dogs sometimes hands us lemons as well and this too we must deal with.
What kind of lemons this time you ask? Well, what started out as an innocent walk down our road last friday, ended in a quite lame dog, 2 seperate Orthopedic vet visits, 2 sets of X-rays, Deb getting to spend a less than quality night with Mr. Hormone, a long morning taking MY dog to the vet as I had to leave town, a misdiagnosis, a true diagnosis, a lot of crate rest and, drumroll please... an appt. for Caudal Cruciate ligament surgery next Wednesday!
I am just heartbroken that my boy has to go through this and I am devastated that his agilty training that was really coming along has now come to a screeching halt, I am so sad that he cannot run and wrestle with his buddies and it kills me to rest and rehab dogs as I am very much a guilt ridden individual when it comes to confining my dogs, a weakness I know!
Danger and I are very lucky however to have had the good fortune to have friends who point us in the right direction, an amzing agility/facebook community who have given me so many ideas and options, and, the privelege to meet Dr. Stubbs who fit Danger in immediately when he was overbooked, essentially as a very kind gesture to a very "good" client :-)
Dr. Stubbs began his examination of Danger and pretty much immediately noticed that the laxity in the knee was not consistent with an ACL tear but the much more rare Caudal Cruciate that keep the tibia from sliding backwards. He took a new set of X-rays and the proof was immediate, the "good" knee was seated beautifully and perfectly and the "bad" knee was a good 3/4 of an inch back on the fibia.
It is just a little bit ironic and humorous, if I can indeed find any humor in this, that we can provide so much excitement for the surgeon by way of offering a "different" and "unique" injury.
Dr. Stubbs was very excited that he gets to perform a surgery other than an ACL repair which it sounds like he can pretty much do in his sleep these days. He did, however, assure me that not only has he done this particular surgery before but it has been successfully performed on working dogs.
I was only able to talk with Dr. Stubbs on the phone but from that phone conversation I can honestly say that I trust him completely and know that the Danger Mouse will be in very good hands! His obvious knowledge was amazing and he really cares about the dogs. I am confident of the future prognosis as Danger is such a young dog and built so beautifully, we will just be getting a bit of a late start :-)
So, where exactly is the lemonade? My boy is alive, he can be fixed, we have a great surgeon, and we have a great support system to get us through this. To be continued...
Friday, August 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad you got a definitive diagnosis, and what sounds like a great surgeon to take care of danger. Hang in there!
So glad Danger is going to be OK.
Hang in there Stacy and Danger!!! Lots of healing vibes coming your way.
Post a Comment