But, being on the road so much also really helps me to appreciate my time at home. The biggest problem I have is that when I am home for an extended period of time I am not sure what to do with myself. Don't get me wrong there are millions of things that NEED to be done but I feel like I am spinning in circles sometimes trying to figure out what comes first, what to do next, and, all of a sudden another day is gone!
One thing I did get to do is a workshop for the local agility folks this past Friday. I structured it as 2 half day workshops, in the first session we focused on slightly (and I mean slightly:-), simpler exercises that were designed to point out both strengths and weaknesses in the foundational skill sets that determine overall handling decisions on any given course.
It is my belief that my job first and foremost is to teach the dog what they will be required to do, this includes all flat area cues and obstacle performance skills.
I am ultimately going to need to be able to trust my dog to do their job in order for me to effectively be able to do mine :-)
Being able to walk out onto any course and confidently define a handling strategy means trusting that I possess all of the tools necessary to adequately analyze the course for flow and efficiency. If I am missing tools I can still most likely get the job done but not as easily, or, most likely, without the efficiency that is necessary to come out on top.
The dogs also must have the correct tools for their job, when both dog and handler are prepared it is like a well oiled machine where dog and handler each take on the roles they are assigned and it is a thing of beauty!
We had a blast in the early session and all of the participants were brilliant in their ability to take the information and run with it! By the end of the workshop I truly believe there was a much better overall understanding of how foundation plays a huge role in what will eventually be a very successful agility team.
In the second session I cranked it up several notches and gave the group the responsibility of putting those foundation skills to work on a very complicated course that involved numerous handling situations that required a great deal of thought. It was designed to test the handlers ability to recognize what signals, cues, etc.. they needed to create seamless transitions between the obstacles. It also required dog and handler teams to really evaluate what is the meaning of these signals and cues as far as the dog is concerned, and, to determine if the meaning behind these cues is or has been consistent in it's usage and presentation throughout the dogs agility life so far.
It is always very enlightening to be pushed outside of your comfort zone and to witness just how well the human condition allows us to focus on what we are already good at rather than trying new and/or different things that may be a bit uncomfortable but ultimately the right idea. Plus, it is just a bad idea to limit yourself to jut a couple of tools when there are so many available and so many necessary applications of these various tools. Every side change can't be a front cross, every turn is not a HERE! there is so much more.
As with the early group I had a blast with a bunch of really amazing dog and handler teams who were more than willing to step outside of their comfort zone and try something "new". Great progress was made and a lot of fun was had. I am already looking forward to the next one...
Because I was mentally exhausted by the time we were done on Friday night I made the decision to not run my dogs and to just head home, however, since I was to be coming back to Liz's for a Christmas party the next night I asked her to please leave the course up and I brought the dogs back on Sat. night and we got to run the course! SoBe, Wally and Maze all got a turn or 2 and it was great fun!
Then it was time to party! It was so very nice to get to see so many people that I just do not get to see very often, tons of great food, great company, awesome gifts exchanged in a rousing game of Chinese gift exchange, is that what it is called? And, of course, a margarita or 2 :-) Thank you Liz for the opportunity to play and work in your building and for the unbeatable holiday festivities!
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment