It's time to start making a list and checking it many, many times! Every time I start a new puppy I have to rewrite the laundry list of things to do, not because there was anything wrong with the old list but because I am always trying to improve on what I have done with each of the other dogs.
I suppose it is possible to train a dog so perfectly that there is no room for improvement but I am doubtful that it has ever really happened. Keeping in mind of course that every dog is different these differences alone make change a necessity.
If I was to pick apart my own training program I would say my biggest hole is contact training, I am happy with the ultimate outcome and for the most part I am happy with all of my dogs contact performance, however, I have been retooling them with each dog and I do not feel as though I have yet found "the" method that I would train each and every dog.
So, here we go again what to do "this" time :-) I have experimented with and had good results with: running, four on the floor, 2on/2off, moving contacts, so many choices how do I choose?
First things first, all of the new behaviors that I will shape Vandal to perform will have the potential to be a part of any of the above methods, his ability to offer these behaviors and overall understanding of each of them will help decide, as Vandal will always be part of the overall decision making process when it comes to determining what obstacle performance criteria will be utilized.
My gut is telling me running A-frame, 2on/2off dog walk and teeter which is what SoBe has been or should I say is being taught.
I would love to entertain the notion of a running dog walk again but let's face it, I am not getting any younger and my dogs are getting faster!
I am and have always been very happy with channel weave poles as a method of teaching very fast, and accurate weave pole performance so that will be how Vandal learns as well.
Of course there is that pesky jump training and I am a big fan of a lot of one jump work when it comes to actually teaching my pups how to jump. I have found that there is not a behavior or handling maneuver that I will use on course that cannot be taught on the flat and over 1 jump.
Talking of jumping specifically, I have found that the 1 jump work helps teach my dogs the proper take off and physicality necessary for any on course situation. Of course it is very important to start slow and continue to increase criteria as you progress.
Teaching my pups "how" to use their bodies is a very important part of our early training. Agility is a very demanding sport and the better the dog knows himself and how to use himself the more you will increase athletic longevity.
The to do list will of course include as early training necessities, hand touch work, parallel path work, outside turn cues, the cone game, restrained recalls, chase me games, and, lots and lots of play!
Oh yea, those basic obedience behaviors as well like sit, down, a recall and a stay.
I have also added a more formal verbal release, (very important for contact work).
Keep in mind during all of this we will be working on name recognition, making Vandal's name the most wonderful and positive word on the planet while at the same time continuing to create the most attentive puppy on the planet by consistently reinforcing him for looking to me for anything.
It all sounds so simple, doesn't it, except that it is not easy to set criteria, break it all down into dog friendly pieces, proof all of the pieces, connect the pieces, proof all of the connected pieces, maintain the criteria all through the addition of each new behavior, etc...
This is why a to do "list" is a very good idea. Tonights puppy training session will include, play, play and more play, some hand signal awareness work, a few obedience behaviors, some name recognition work, a few restrained recalls and Vandals first experience with "perch" work. All of these things will be worked in 1/2 hour max. with the majority of time spent on the play part.
Babies learn better and faster with tiny pieces of lots of behaviors being taught at once to keep boredom to a minimum and mind expansion at a maximum!
Well, I am off to train the baby...
2 comments:
There is always so much to do with a puppy. I hope to get a puppy this summer or fall, so I really need to start making a list now. I wonder if I should change my cues for a new puppy, or if it'd just confuse me too much!
Wondering if you'll be posting your puppy to do list here? :)
Post a Comment