It was a very interesting selection of topics considering a successful side change is dependent on properly timed cues :-) Needless to say the sessions definitely overlapped, but in a good way. They were exceptional groups that were bundled up for the unheated training building on a very chilly colorado winter day, ready to do agility!
The agility community is getting incredibly astute in their understanding of the need for proper foundation training, consistency of cues, behavior training and criteria maintainence, what is still lacking is application.
The overuse and misuse of verbal cues is alive and well and the consistency in cuing a turn profoundly late still plagues the majority. Why is that? First and foremost I believe it is the classic problem of trying to be acutely aware of all of the necessary handling components while everything is happening at speed.
When I ask the group questions such as at what point do you offer the direction change cue it is a unanimous answer of before the turn is supposed to occur, good answer, if the cue occurs when the turn is supposed to be happening there is no time for information processing, which also negates the dogs ability to properly set up for the direction change and generally results in a wide turn with a late lead change and potentially disasterous outcome for both dog and handler.
When I ask the group questions such as at what point do you offer the direction change cue it is a unanimous answer of before the turn is supposed to occur, good answer, if the cue occurs when the turn is supposed to be happening there is no time for information processing, which also negates the dogs ability to properly set up for the direction change and generally results in a wide turn with a late lead change and potentially disasterous outcome for both dog and handler.
So, back to the point, if we know the answer why are the masses so chronically late? Handlers need to first and foremost trust what they have trained, walk a sequence or course for the most efficient path, concentrating on what handling maneuvers they need to utilize to get the job done and commit to giving the dog the information and trust them to respond appropriately and do their job.
So many handlers, although they have trained their dogs beautifully, run the course or exercise as a spectator, giving a cue and then hanging back and watching the result, this is completely ineffective as the handler continues to get further behind from a timing standpoint and the dog becomes increasingly unable to offer correct behaviors without information. Remember, all information comes from the handler, if incorrect or nonexistent information is being passed on to the dog there cannot be a good outcome.
Good timing is a result of confident handling and is based on the ability to move around a course or exercise set with full awareness of where you are, where the dog is and where the course goes, to know all of these things is power, it enables you to make quick decisions and adjustments when necessary and keep your dog moving consistently through the course.
So, although we know the answers there is still a huge discrepancy between knowing and doing, the sport is reaching new heights everyday and the demands on both dog and handler continue to increase, I will continue to do my part and will continue to hone my personal skills and learn new and improved ways to help the awesome people in the agility community to give their dogs the best possible information at the best possible moment because as we all know the times they are a changin'.
3 comments:
I agree that many run their courses as spectators....I am guilty of that as well. I find that the dogs that I run are very reactive to my body movements and an ill timed shoulder twitch can cause a refusal at the drop of a hat. My biggest challenge has been to learn the body awareness that helps me to not only be aware of what I am doing but to react to what my dog may be doing on the course as well. How do you develope this skill in yourself and in your students?
Hmmm.... that is a very good question. For myself, I have been essentially cultivating the ability to multi task at speed for many years and with practice and experience it does essentially become a wrote behavior on my part.
I use my peripheral vision constantly on course to help stay focused on all of the objects and places I need to see.
Peripherally I can keep the dog, where we are coming from, and, where we are going in sight on most occasions. I am also acutely aware of my dogs position at all times so that I can be giving information in a timely manner. I really believe that it is a lot like the chicken and the egg theory, as it is quite impossible to know what is more important or comes first, the fact that as a handler the timing of my cues is determined by the dogs placement relative to what I am trying to cue and the fact that my cues ultimately determine the dog's placement.
It is very complicated stuff indeed! :-)
I am perpetually trying to impress upon my students the value of peripheral vision as well as the necessity of knowing where their dog is at all times. There is a distinct difference between knowing where your dog is and not taking your eyes off of your dog. If you are literally staring at or fully watching your dog you are not handling, whereas if you are aware of your dogs position but not watching you are capable of doing all of the subtle or not so subtle adjustments necessary on so many courses.
These are skills however that each individual must work on themselves and essentially train themselves to be more aware of the whole process, being their own handling police as it were.
The instructor can help and can point out places for improvement but the true ability must come from the handler.
So maybe we need to know what those exercises to cultivate that ability to multi-task are? :-) Sounds like an excellent idea for a seminar or a dvd!
Post a Comment