Thursday, November 4, 2010

It was really hard driving home after going BLIND!!

What a fantastic opportunity I had, to work with German agility phenom Silas Boogk! I took a 2 day drive to have the pleasure of spending 2 days running like I have never run before, on courses that would have many running the other way! :-)
After being abused by Silas the fun continued with 2 more days with Linda Mecklenburg. Linda always makes you think and really evaluate your handling, criteria and overall "plan" for you and your dog, what an awesome 4 days!
Silas put forth courses that were like none I have ever seen, and I have competed overseas numerous times! I loved them :-)
We began the first morning by hearing Silas' training philosophy and then we were all to walk and run a 25 obstacle maze, I mean course.
After we muddled our way through the course utilizing what we felt were the best handling maneuvers for the situation, Silas spent about an hour explaining why "our way" was not the most efficient in most cases.
The reason for this is because we had the audacity to throw in a rear cross or two, more than enough "front crosses", and not many, well any blind crosses!
Silas is all about staying in front of his dog and therefore uses copious amounts of blind crosses in places that definitely brought the fear of God to us mere mortal handlers.
We were missing a couple of crucial elements, hmmm... like being 24, very thin, a man, and having the ability to run backwards with as much grace, speed and fluidity as even the most agile American runs forward!!! :-)
However, with all of that said, Silas, with his take no prisoners attitude, complete upbeat nature and overall energy not only got us to do it but to do it successfully! I can say in all honesty that the only blind crosses I have ever done have been at the exit of a curved tunnel, this really does not even count!
By the time we were done on Sunday night I had done at least 30-40 in places that no one would believe! What a complete and total rush!
I so wish we had a chance to use these awesome skills, super speed, and, balls out running style on more of our own courses.
My purpose for going to this seminar was to be pushed, well it was everything I hoped for and more.
Silas would work with each individual anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour at a time , everyone's tongue would be hanging out well before your turn ended. There was no such thing as I can't, there was no, I am too tired you just did it, and you did it willingly!
I cannot even put into words just how much fun it was and what a rush it was to run like that!
You really had to trust your dog and what you have trained, that was a serious high as well!
I ran the entire seminar with SoBe and she was brilliant! She showed her skills incredibly well. And these skills were equal parts learned and equal parts natural. Silas paid SoBe a huge compliment and commented on her incredible focus and athleticism, he called her perfect! :-)
It was all about perfection, a type A persons dream come true. You would work portions over and over and you would start over and over, it was awesome!!! Have I said that already?
After working until well into the night on both Sat. and Sun. Linda very wisely decided that we would start at 10:00 on Sat. good call!
Lindas incredible attention to detail was appreciated and the ability to go back and hone some basic skills after 2 days of definitely pushing beyond the limits was a very nice way to proceed for the next couple of days.
It was so nice to be able to practice what we are comfortable with but explore in much greater detail why we are doing it was awesome as well.
I did peter out on Tues. and admit that I headed home at about 3:00. I was simply mentally and physically exhausted at this point!
I am already looking forward to the next agility camp that I get to participate in and am thinking that the diet needs to start now!
Off to Vegas for a weekend of shows and time with my husband!!!

1 comment:

hodgson said...

I can't wait until we see you in Phoenix in January at your seminar. Is this a 'heads up' to what we should expect to do? :o) Mary Louise and Bonnie(tri-sheltie) from B.C., Canada