Wednesday, April 15, 2009

There once was a very spoiled little BC...

...named SoBe! 
I guess the only way that there can be a very spoiled little BC named SoBe is by having a very indulgent owner named Stacy :-) Wow, that all rhymes!
SoBe has been cleared to start doing 16" jumps, (a few per session) and she can start doing limited amounts of contacts and tunnels. The PT does not yet want her jumping full height or doing weave poles or the tire jump.
Now, I am sure you are asking, what could this possibly have to do with the blog title for today? Well, first let me say that one of my greatest fears while SoBe was "resting and recuperating" was that she was going to lose all drive and when it was time to start working her again I was going to have a disinterested, slug dog. Not so much!!!
The very young and inexperienced SoBe dog has come back guns blazing and mouth working overtime! 
Not only is she doing everything as if she has been shot out of  cannon, she is very clearly pointing out where the "holes" are in our training. Holes that I was not quite so acutely aware of until now. 
Don't get me wrong SoBe has bunches of skills, that she uses when, and, the way she pleases. For example, my vow to never again have a dog that does not have a start line is being seriously tested, as stay seems to be optional in SoBe's world. 
Oh, she stays, until she feels like getting up, at which point I try to suppress the giggles as I attempt to get her back to the original spot where the stay originated, the whole time Princess SoBe is barking wildly and spinning like a top.
Of course I clearly explain to her that this is completely unacceptable behavior while at the same time realizing I have just allowed her to grab the flying squirrel that is in my hand and am engaging in a rousing game of tug back to the "spot". Well at least she is quiet now, right?
OK, it is obviously time to check out how well she has maintained her limited knowledge of contact behavior. I started with the teeter which was set at a nice low training height. Because I am teaching SoBe to pounce off of the board, helping her to understand the job is to get your front feet on the ground as soon as possible, and not to think about making the board move. To accomplish this, before SoBe got hurt we had started to improve her performance by my holding the board a few inches off the ground then asking SoBe to jump on the end of the board, with all 4 feet on the board, offer the bang, at which point I drop the board while she maintains the 20n/2off position until released.
That all sounds really good doesn't it! Well, Slug dog Sobe proceeded to throw herself onto the board all the while barking and screaming madly, after several stifled laughs and many "Bang" commands she found her way clear to put her feet on the ground, at which point I rewarded her with another game of tug. This game of tug she truly deserved, however, bad trainer Stacy certainly should not have laughed at her silly behavior, nor should Stacy have asked her multiple times to offer a behavior, but... I did!
On to the dog walk, I think you can guess how that went. I think we got a solid 2on/2off stop on about attempt number 4. This was of course after several false starts with SoBe's alternate version of stay. This too, made me explain through smiles and stifled giggles required me to tell SoBe how extremely naughty she was being.
You see, the dog I was afraid was going to lose all drive while recuperating seems to have found another gear while she was "resting!" 
This I am thrilled about, not that speed was ever an issue but, WOW! Who knew there was so much more! 
To finish off our training session today, SoBe got to do 2 C-shaped tunnels which she performed perfectly :-)
The moral of this story? I love my dogs each and every one of them, and they each bring something completely different to my life. SoBe brings me many things but one of the most obvious is laughter and pure unadulterated joy!
You see, I may not be doing everything perfect from a training standpoint and she may be a bit on the naughty side but together we will get there, and, she will be an amazing agility dog all the while the whole race to the finish line will be awesome and wonderful and difficult and trying and the most fantastic learning experience for both SoBe and I, because you see, we always get the dog we need, even if we did not know on the onset that it was the dog we wanted.
Speaking of, let's talk about Vandal for a minute. Have I mentioned lately how much I love this very cool little puppy? Well, in case I have not I am saying it now. Of course with that said it is always so interesting to raise a puppy and really get to know them. 
Very often there are things that sort of throw you and are quite unexpected, Vandal is no exception.
We have already formed an amazing bond and I can say in all honesty we are equally attached to one another, this is of course a huge part of the teamwork that will be necessary on the agility field but I am learning as I do more and more with Vandal that he has a bit of an all about me issue. Vandal loves to work and loves to play and loves to hang out and he loves all of this on his terms :-) 
This is something that I am learning as he grows up and as we start to do a bit more training. Is this a bad thing? Not in my opinion it isn't.
I have to be smart enough to recognize this behavior trait, and do my best to circumvent it. 
From the day Vandal came home I have been feeding him from my hand, (he now eats out of a bowl, bonding mission successful and complete:-), anyway, he never over ate because he was completely attentive and would sit and eat with perfect concentration until he was done, then he would walk away. I thought this was so interesting but did not read anything into it.
So now we start training and Vandal is very toy motivated as well as toy motivated, until he's done. He loves to offer behaviors and learn new things, until he's done. I have made mental note of this and have been very careful to always end each session or portion of a session before he does in order to keep it fun, interesting, and most of all clear that "I" end the game, not Vandal.
Next phase, putting a bit more pressure on the little man to work through a minor distraction or call off of something he thinks is better than what I am asking or offering, when pushed Vandal thinks it is a good idea to leave, I, of course do not think this is a good idea :-)
My job is to help him understand that although leaving is not an option, I will make the decision to stay easier by simplifying what I am asking for, rewarding any small "give" on Vandals part and engaging him in play of whatever nature he will respond to in these situations.
As the trainer, it is my job to find out what "works" with each and every dog in each and every situation, with the ultimate goal being Vandal working happily because he wants to, NOT because he has too.
Is this the type of dog I dreamed of having as my next puppy? NOPE, but, I would not trade him for anything, he is obviously the dog I need and the best part is, he is also the dog I WANT!
Guess what, Merger has found his rear feet and he ran across the dog walk today!

No comments: